Elder Runolfson reported to the MTC on May 7th, 2008. He will be learning Spanish and flew to Argentina on July 7th.

July 7th, 2008-Monday

Today is July 7th and Mark flew to Argentina today! The family got a call from him and spoke to him for a couple of hours and he's doing great!

Argentina

Argentina

Monday, July 7, 2008

6/10/2008

Family,

Even less time to write today. I have a meeting with the Travel Dept. today during my letter writing time.

The Spanish thing is really interesting. It is interesting that I can listen to my teachers and catch some of what they are saying. I keep shocking myself when I am assigned to write something in Spanish and I can actually think of something to write and write it almost correctly.

This weeks we also started practicing teaching the Lessons, (Lesson 1/el primaro leccion) and I can say, somewhat, what needs to be said. I can form thoughts on the lesson and say a lot of it.

One of the best ways I am learning Spanish in my personal/companion/language study is reading from PMG and PME (Predicad Mi Evangelio) and writing in Spanish helps. It is still really hard, though, and will not be considered to be even almost fluent until at least 6 months in the field. I face a lot of rough road ahead in learning.

I just got back from the meeting I had this morning. I only had to stay for the first 30 minutes.

Elders Clark, Hoopes and I are the only ones form our district that are going to BAW (Buenos Aires West). Everyone else is going to Paraguay. Our district is really cool. We all get along well. We, all together, strive to be better, all the time.

At the meeting we received instructions for the next meeting we have when we will meet the Consul General of Argentina. We signed some papers and got lots of fingerprints taken. The best part of the meeting, is that we were the first to get called up to do the fingerprints so we got to leave early since that was the only reason why we were there. There are about 8 or 10 other missionaries at the MTC that are going to BAW.

We share a floor with the Anzianos (Elders) that are going to Italia (Italy). Different missions have their own personalities. Paraguay Elders are more silly/goofy. Italia Elders have a temper, and Argentina BAW Elders are more responsible. ;-)

Anyway, Elder Jensen and I got to talk with one of the more friendly Anzianos. We were actually in our planning session in our residence room and he came right in and started talking. Planning is usually done in the classrooms but on Sundays after the movies [Testiments, Legacy, The New Testament...] we don't have time to go to the classrooms so we plan in the residence and our room door is rarely closed so Elders randomly stroll through room all the time.

Entonces (so/then) this Anziano came to chat. We learned about his conversion, which is cool, and we also learned about his mission. Did you know that Italy does not have a temple? The goal of the Elders here in the MTC is to get a temple. They have to work very hard and convert at least 2 stakes worth of people. The church abroad has property but they need more members and then they need to get permission from the Pope. The old Pope was very supportive but the new one they have now will be giving the church trouble.

The MTC advertises and tries to get people to wash their hands and if hands are washed often, illness in reduced by 20% in the MTC. But, something didn't work out because I got sick and I am just now feeling better.

One of the things we don't get enough of here at the MTC is sunshine and out-side air. All the walkways are covered and we only go outside to get to another building.

One of the questions that is asked a lot here is, "What do you miss"? My answer is my family, home, my dogs, my truck and my work.

I do miss you all and always look forward to hearing from you.

-Mark

No comments: