Elder Runolfson reported to the MTC on May 7th, 2008. He will be learning Spanish and flew to Argentina on July 7th.

July 7th, 2008-Monday

Today is July 7th and Mark flew to Argentina today! The family got a call from him and spoke to him for a couple of hours and he's doing great!

Argentina

Argentina

Monday, July 7, 2008

06/03/2008

You probably got my email. The computer was bugging me pretty good. I was typing the email, then it was gone. I logged back on and retyped what I was saying then finished. I tried to select the email from the address book but whatever happened, I lost the email. I had copied partly along the way so you got what I had copied. I don't entirely remember what it was I said, so you might get some repeat here.

Thank you for your letters. Thank you, Britton, for the picture and Kristin, thank you for the Duck Tape. I was able to make the adjustments on my scripture case. I ran out of cookies. (I've learned to appreciate cookies from home more.) Grandma sent me a box with the water filter bottles in it along with some cookies.

I think I have figured out why Elder Spelta said, "Dont eat the cookies," from the cafeteria.

I am sorry to hear there has been so much misfortune there. The news about Pauline is really sad. But keep in mind she is in a better place and possibly faces another opportunity to the Gospel.

We went back to the RC again and I chatted with Natasha again for about 30 minutes. I have learned more about her and her circumstance and I respect her more and pray for her family. She is the only one, at least is seems, in her family left that has good feelings toward the church. Her parents have both gone Anti. Mostly her dad, but also her sister-who she looks up to-. Natasha sneaks onto the church website to contact the church when her parents are not home. She gets on several times a week, recently at least. She wants a stronger testimony and she wants to know if the church is true so she actually gets online for the missionary discussions or Sunday School.

I really wasn't expecting to talk to her again. I will prepare to teach her something for next time. Though, if I do, I will probably not get to Chat with her again. An online lesson is way different from an 'in-person' and I will need practice. None the less, I will pray for her and her family.

I am surprised at how much I am catching on to the language. However it is really hard and I feel I am struggling more than others. But I shouldn't judge or compare.

Anyhow when we read from Preach My Gospel (PMG) in Spanish, I can catch on to what is said. And with effort I can write out a sentence that makes sense but I still need a lot of work. One thing I dread is that it takes 6 months to catch on in the mission field, if you're good at it, and up to a year for most, before the language is more natural and fluent.

Kristin, sounds cool that you are putting some of my letters on the Blog.

Britton, thanks again for your letter, good luck with your band. Remember to be True to the Faith.

Kayla, I hope you do well on your driving test. Drive safe.

From the way it appears, if I have a problem with weight for the flight, I'll be glad I don't have as much as others and I am glad I am smaller so my clothing is less weight.

So much to say, so little time. I did not think I would ever write this much. I did learn to like and appreciate writing from my college classes, though.

There are lots of cool people here. Elder Jensen is quite humble. My other roommates, Elders Clark and Hoopes are very respectable. They are strong, faithful and knowledgeable in the Gospel. They were just made our Zone Leaders.

I think our district is one of the best. Especially compared to the zone that resides above us on the 2nd floor. The 'quiet time' and 'lights out time' rules must not have gotten to them.

The speakers here at the MTC are often reminding us, "when I was a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I left behind childish things." Some have not taken it to heart, while others have.

Well, it is time to go. I look forward to your letters and next Tuesday to write back. I love you and miss you.

-Mark

No comments: